Summer Internship Programme
The award winning GHSL Summer Internship programme is running into its 6th year and runs from mid to late November to the end of February. The programme was designed to build a pipeline of future passionate health, safety, and wellbeing professionals for the government sector. It has seen the success of many students who have learnt about the important of H&S and have gone on to work in H&S roles across the sector to make a change to the whole of Aotearoa’s health and wellbeing.
The demand for H&S professionals in New Zealand is high, with an estimated shortage of 2,100 health and safety professionals over the next few years. There is a huge range of career opportunities in this profession!
What we offer
Our internship programme is 3 months long. Successful applicants will:
- Gain an understanding of why health, safety and wellbeing is important and the wide array of areas it covers in government.
- Be paid! Our interns are employed by a government agency in their health, safety, and wellbeing team.
- Contribute to valuable pieces of work in a diverse and interesting organisation
- We’ll help you build a professional network.
"We have hosted interns for the entirety of the programme. They have each, in their own way, added value to the work we undertake and the insights that we gain. They bring a fresh perspective, a glimpse into the future of leading a culture of wellbeing and safety and enrich our experiences as much as we enjoy showing them the scope of our work here at Customs. We thoroughly recommend joining the host- an- intern team and appeal to you to support the next generation of those who care deeply about this area and want to make a tangible difference."
- Rachael Mason, Manager of Health, Safety and Wellbeing at Customs New Zealand
Who should apply?
We are looking for people who are enthusiastic, motivated, and eager to learn about H&S.
- You must be Studying in New Zealand for a diploma or undergraduate degree in health science, health and safety, health, psychology, or human resources.
- You need to be Moving into your third, fourth or final year of undergraduate study, as we want to have students who have completed papers in a related area of study to health, safety, and wellbeing.
- You’ll need to be available to work full time in either Wellington or Auckland from 22 November to 18 February 2021 (excluding the Christmas/new year holidays).
Online Application- Sending through your CV and Cover letter
Online video process- asked several questions under timed conditions to help us understand more about you and your interest in the internship programme and H&S
In person or online competency-based interview
Preferred candidates selected, and reference checks completed
Hear what our past Interns have to say
If you have any queries, please contact the GHSL team at email@example.com. You can also follow us on LinkedIn.(external link)